Geetha Suvarna A.
MSc (Area): Biotechnology
Ms. Geetha Suvarna A completed Master’s in Biotechnology (2007-2009) from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India. During her master’s thesis, she worked on a project entitled “Screening of different fungi for siderophore production, antimicrobial activity and secondary metabolite production”. She joined Yenepoya Deemed to be University in January, 2014 and is working on the PhD title “Molecular characterization and comparative analysis of lectin from Canavalia spp. of Dakshina Kannada region”.
- Junior Research Fellow (Jan 2014- Till date) – Yenepoya (Deemed to be University), Mangalore, Karnataka
- Completed NPTEL certificate course in ‘Health Research Fundamentals’ offered by NIE and ICMR with ‘Elite grade’.
- Completed NPTEL certificate course in ‘Bioinformatics: Algorithms and Applications’ offered by IIT Madras with a score of 77% (Elite+Silver grade)
Research Interest/ Area
- Molecular Biology – PCR, Primer design, Sequencing
- Bioinformatics- Homology, Phylogeny, Molecular docking
- Cell biology- Lymphocyte culture and analysis of chromosome spread, Cytotoxicity studies
Ms. Geetha Suvarna A is currently working on the project titled “Molecular characterization and comparative analysis of lectin from Canavalia spp. of Dakshina Kannada region”. The objectives of the study includes characterization and phylogenetic analysis of lectin genes from Canavalia spp. The study also includes biological function (carbohydrate specificity, antimicrobial activity, mitogenic activity and cytotoxicity) analysis of lectin proteins from Canavalia spp.