Sneha S. Rao
MSc (Area): Applied Zoology
I’m Sneha S. Rao, working as a PhD scholar at Yenepoya Research centre. I have obtained my bachelor’s degree in chemistry, zoology and microbiology from St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore and my master’s degree from the department of applied zoology, Mangalore University. In August 2017, I joined as a JRF in a DST-SERB project titled “Enhancing the efficacy of platelet rich plasma for diabetic wound care”, under the guidance of Dr. Rekha P. D.
- Best poster award for the poster titled “To assess the effective concentration of low molecular weight of HA for its use in tissue regeneration” at Biopolymers & Green Composites (BPGC 2017- 5th in series): Recent Trends in Biomedical Polymers” to be held on 15-16 December 2017 at Kochi
- Young scientist award for the poster titled “Microwave-assisted rapid synthesis of silver nanoparticles using fucoidan: Characterization and assessment of antimicrobial potentials” in ICMS 2020 from March 4th to 6th 2020, held at Tripura university, Agartala.
ICMR-SRF fellowship – 2020
Diabetes, Chronic wound healing, biopolymers, Nanoparticles, PRP
Wound healing is a complex physiological process with 4 stages of healing. The stages of healing are delayed in diabetic conditions due to various factors thus hampering the wound closure. These wounds when not treated often lead to amputations imparting and huge financial burden on the patients.
My work interest lies in developing a formulation composed of nanoparticles for the delivery of various growth factors to the wound site to target the delayed healing in diabetic foot ulcers.
- Ghate SD, Arun AB, Rao SS, Kumar SA, Kandiyil MK, Saptami K, Rekha PD. Genome analysis of a halophilic bacterium Halomonas malpeensis YU-PRIM-29 T reveals its exopolysaccharide and pigment producing capabilities. Scientific reports. 2021 Jan 18;11(1):1-4.
- Rajasekaran, S., Rao, S.S., Dalavi, P.A., Prabhu, A., Anil, S., Venkatesan, J. and Bhat, S.S., 2021. Rapid microwave-assisted biosynthesis of chitooligosaccharide coated silver nanoparticles: assessments of antimicrobial activity for paediatric pulp therapy. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 11(4), p.045018.
- Vipin C, Saptami K, Fida F, Mujeeburahiman M, Rao SS, Arun AB, Rekha PD. Potential synergistic activity of quercetin with antibiotics against multidrug-resistant clinical strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. PloS one. 2020 Nov 6;15(11):e0241304.
- Rekha PD, Hameed A, Manzoor MA, Suryavanshi MV, Ghate SD, Arun AB, Rao SS, Bajire SK, Mujeeburahiman M, Young CC. First Report of Pathogenic Bacterium Kalamiella piersonii Isolated from Urine of a Kidney Stone Patient: Draft Genome and Evidence for Role in Struvite Crystallization. Pathogens. 2020 Sep;9(9):711.
- Rao SS, Saptami K, Venkatesan J, Rekha PD. Microwave-assisted rapid synthesis of silver nanoparticles using fucoidan: Characterization with assessment of biocompatibility and antimicrobial activity. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2020 Nov 15;163:745-55.
- Rao SS, Venkatesan J, Prabhu A, Rekha PD. Natural polymeric biomaterials in growth factor delivery for treating diabetic foot ulcers. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020 Feb 1;55:101385.
- Rao SS, Rekha PD, Anil S, Lowe B, Venkatesan J. Natural polysaccharides for growth factors delivery. InNatural Polysaccharides in Drug Delivery and Biomedical Applications 2019 Jan 1 (pp. 495-512). Academic Press.
- Venkatesan J, Anil S, Rao S, Bhatnagar I, Kim SK. Sulfated polysaccharides from macroalgae for bone tissue regeneration. Current pharmaceutical design. 2019 Mar 1;25(11):1200-9.
- Rekha PD, Rao SS, Sahana TG, Prabhu A. Diabetic wound management. Br. J. Community Nurs. 2018;23(Sup9):S16-S22.