Dr. Venkatesan Jayachandran
PhD, Chemistry, Pukyong National University, South Korea
MSc: Chemistry, Thiruvalluvar University, India
email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
I have received my master of science in chemistry from Thiruvalluvar University in 2005 and Ph.D. from Pukyong National University, South Korea in 2011. My major research interests are investigation and development of biomaterials from natural resources. I am presently working natural based polymeric and ceramic biomaterials for bone/cartilage tissue engineering and drug delivery application.
Assistant Professor (Oct 2017–till date) – Yenepoya Research Centre, Yenepoya University, Mangaluru, Karnataka, India.
Postdoctoral Researcher (May 2015-Feb 2017) – Incheon National University, South Korea
Research Professor (Jan 2013-Apr 2015) – Pukyong National University, South Korea
Postdoctoral Researcher (Jan 2012-Dec 2012) – Pukyong National University, South Korea
Quality Control/Assurance Chemist (Feb 2006-Mar 2009) – Coromandel International Ltd, India.
- Best Poster Award, Preparation and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles for cancer drug delivery” Korean Society of Chitin and Chitosan, 2015, Gwanju, South Korea
- Interview with KBS TV Channel, Developing novel bone regenerative materials in Pukyong National University on 08.03. 2012. Published in PUKYONG Today
- Best Oral Presentation award entitled “Preparation and characterization of carbon nanotube-grafted-chitosan – Natural hydroxyapatite composite for bone tissue engineering” Korean Society of Chitin and Chitosan, 2011, Jeju, South Korea
Biomaterials, tissue engineering, drug delivery, stem cells
The current project that I designed Yenepoya Research Center is “Fabrication of Artificial Bone”. The key factors behind my research study are biopolymer and bioceramics based biomaterial’s to design efficient artificial bone scaffolds to overcome the problems associated with the current research field. The individual objectives of the proposed work leading to accomplishment of overall goal of my research plan encompass three major aspects.
- Scaffold fabrication and characterization of composites scaffolds
- In vitro cell-scaffold interaction (Osteoblast, Osteoblast and Stem cells)
- In vivo animal model experiment (Using rabbit or dog model)
My research interventions involve around scaffold fabrication, materials-cell interactions, and development of targeted drug delivery vehicles, nanoparticle synthesis using green and chemical methods, antimicrobial and anticancer membrane preparation. Having said that, my major research interests are investigation and development of materials from marine sources for human betterment, and am currently working to develop pharmaceuticals, cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals based on marine materials, particularly polysaccharides and ceramics. My major research interests are investigation and development of materials from marine sources.
- Venkatesan, J., S.K. Singh, S. Anil, S.-K. Kim, M.S. Shim, and M. Másson (2018) Preparation, Characterization and Biological Applications of Biosynthesized Silver Nanoparticles with Chitosan-Fucoidan Coating. Molecules 23.
- Venkatesan, J., Lee, J.-Y., Kang, D. S., Anil, S., Kim, S.-K., Shim, M. S., & Kim, D. G. (2017). Antimicrobial and anticancer activities of porous chitosan-alginate-biosynthesized silver nanoparticles. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 98, 515-525.
- Venkatesan, J., & Kim, S. K. (2014). Nano-hydroxyapatite composite biomaterials for bone tissue engineering – A review. Journal of biomedical nanotechnology, 10(10), 3124-3140.
- Venkatesan, J., & Kim, S. K. (2012). Stimulation of minerals by carbon nanotube grafted glucosamine in mouse mesenchymal stem cells for bone tissue engineering. Journal of biomedical nanotechnology, 8(4), 676-685.
- Venkatesan, J., Qian, Z. J., Ryu, B., Ashok Kumar, N., & Kim, S. K. (2011). Preparation and characterization of carbon nanotube-grafted-chitosan – Natural hydroxyapatite composite for bone tissue engineering. Carbohydrate polymers, 83(2), 569-577.
- Venkatesan J, Anil S, Kim SK, editors. Seaweed Polysaccharides: Isolation, Biological and Biomedical Applications. Elsevier; 2017 May 30.
- Venkatesan, J., Anil, S., Chalisserry, E. P., & Kim, S.-K. (2016). Marine Sponges as Future Biomedical Models Marine Sponges: Chemicobiological and Biomedical Applications (pp. 349-357): Springer.
- Venkatesan, J., & Kim, S. K. (2015). Carbon Nanotube for Bone Repair Handbook of Polymer Nanocomposites. Processing, Performance and Application (pp. 511-526): Springer
- Venkatesan, J., Jayakumar, R., Anil, S., & Kim, S. (2016). Chitosan–nanohydroxyapatite nanocomposite for bone-tissue regeneration. Nanocomposites for Musculoskeletal Tissue Regeneration, 161.
- Venkatesan, J., & Kim, S. K. (2015). Marine Biomaterials Springer Handbook of Marine Biotechnology: Springer
- Venkatesan, J., & Kim, S. K. (2014). Porous scaffold for tissue engineering and preparation thereof. US Patent 20,140.314,824
- Kim, S.K. Ryu, B.M., Venkatesan, J., & Qian, Z.J. (2013) Carbon nanotube-grafted-chitosan-hydroxyapatite composite for bone tissue engineering and a method of preparing the same. Korean Patent
- Venkatesan, J., Qian, Z.J & Kim, S.K. (2012) Method for preparation hydroxyapatite from tune bone. Korean Patent
Received a Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence (TARE) 2018 from DST-SERB, project entitled as “Fucoidan beads containing hydroxyapatite and graphene oxide for bone tissue repair and regeneration” for three years (2019-2022) with fund 18.5 lakhs.