Dr. K. Sudhakaraprasad
PhD, National Chung-Hsing University, Taiwan
MSc, Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), (2001-2003)
Prasad grew up in southern part of India, received his Bachelors and Master of Science degree in Chemistry from St.Thomas college,Thrissur (Calicut University) and Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University). Prasad then moved to Taiwan with a foreign student fellowship for doctoral studies under the guidance of Prof.Jyh-Myng Zen at National Chung-Hsing University and graduated in 2009. Pursued his postdoctoral research (6 years) at various universities in Taiwan, South Korea and US. Since 2015, he is a faculty at Yenepoya research Centre along with affiliation to Centre for Nutrition Studies, and head Nano-Material Research Lab (NMRL) at YRC. Prasad is married to Nguyen Thi Hong and lives with his family in Mangalore and have one son (Khai Nam Krish).
- Assistant Professor (Oct 2015-till date) – Yenepoya Research Centre, Yenepoya (Deemed to be University), Mangaluru, India
- Coordinator Laboratory & Research (May 2014-Jan 2015) – University of Texas at El Paso, US
- Postdoctoral researcher (Apr 2013- Apr 2014) – Oklahoma State University, US
- Postdoctoral researcher (Sept 2011- Apr 2013) – Pusan National University, South Korea
- Postdoctoral researcher (Aug 2009-Jul 2011) – National Tsing-Hua University and National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral researcher (Jan 2009-July 2009) – National Chung-Hsing University, Taiwan
- Best paper award at the Eleventh National Convention of Electrochemists 2003, conducted by “The Society for Advancement of Electrochemical Science and Technology, India”: M.Sc thesis research work
- National Chung-Hsing University Foreign student scholarship during doctoral program (Sept 2004-Jan 2009)
- The top 25 Most Cited Articles 2008–2009 @ Electrochemistry Communications
- Mentored research scholars won First place in the Inter-University South Zone Anveshan Student Research Convention held at Tumkur University (Feb 14-15, 2017)
- Mentored students won second place grant award (Translational medicine, developing an ultra low-cost pre-symptomatic diagnostic paper tool for protein energy malnutrition) at annual International Science and Engineering Fair organized by IT major Intel at Pittsburgh in USA from 12 May to 18 May 2018
- Mentored research scholar won Best Poster award at International Conference on Chemistry and Physics of Materials (ICCPM 2018) December 19-21, 2018, St.Thomas College, Thrissur, Kerala
- JNCASR visiting fellowship 2018-2019
Paper Analytical Devices, Electrochemical Biosensors, Disposable Point-of-Care Testing devices, Protein electrochemistry, Nanocarbon and Fluorescent Carbon Nano Dots, Nanomaterials synthesis, Drug Delivery.
The lab focuses on the development and fabrication of microfluidic paper analytical devices, μ-PADs and electrochemical, Eμ-PADs for point-of-care testing platforms. Synthesis of advanced and smart nano-composites, nano carbons from sustainable materials, graphene based materials and their wide applications in electrocatalysis, bio-sensing and catalysis. In addition, research on versatile biosensors for clinically important bio-markers using nanotechnology and modern electronics tools. We also work with our hospital clinicians (Yenepoya Medical College Hospitals) for development of affordable sensors and bio-compatible nano-materials for glaucoma management.
1. P. D. Priya Swetha, H. Manisha, K. S. Prasad, Graphene and Graphene-based materials in Biomedical Science, Part. Part. Syst. Charact.2018, 35(8), 1800105.
2. KS Prasad, HB Noh, SS Reddy, AE Reddy, YB Shim, Catalytic properties of Au and Pd nanoparticles decorated Cu2O microcubes for aerobic benzyl alcohol oxidation and Suzuki-Miyaura coupling reaction in water.Appl. Catal., A 2014, 476, 72.
3. KS Prasad, C Walgama, S Krishnan, Enhanced Electroactivity and Substrate Affinity of Microperoxidase-11 Attached to Pyrene-linkers π-π Stacked on Carbon Nanostructure Electrodes. RSC Adv. 2015, 5, 11845.
4. CC Lu, KS Prasad, HL Wu, JAA Ho, MH Huang, Au nanocube-directed fabrication of Au− Pd core− shell nanocrystals with tetrahexahedral, concave octahedral and octahedral structures and their electrocatalytic activity, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 14546.
5. KS Prasad, G Muthuraman, JM Zen ,The role of oxygen functionalities and edge plane sites on screen-printed carbon electrodes for simultaneous determination of dopamine, uric acid and ascorbic acid, Electrochem. Commun, 2008, 10, 559-563.
1.Low-cost Paper Analytical Devices for Environmental and Biomedical Sensing Applications. In Environmental, Chemical and Medical Sensors, pp. 315-341. Springer, Singapore, 2018. H. Manisha, P. D. Priya Swetha, K. S. Prasad * (Invited Book Chapter)
- K. Sudhakaraprasad, Arun A. B. and Sapna Kannan, “Thermal biosensor based diagnostic kit for Leptospirosis” Indian Patent, Provisional specification, 2018, No: 2020410011481.
- K. Sudhakaraprasad, Arun A. B. and Sapna Kannan, “Electrochemical biosensor and method for diagnosing Leptospirosis” Indian Patent, Provisional specification, 2018, No: 201941047489.
- K. Sudhakaraprasad and Sonia Josef, “A dual mode paper analytical device and method of fabricating the same” Indian Patent, Provisional specification, 2018, No: 201841034005.
- DST-SERB Core Research Grant from Govt. Of India (2019-2022), Carbon Nanodots Caged Nano-Gel for Therapeutic Drug Delivery of Latanoprost for Glaucoma Management. (CRG/2018/000338), 37.69 Lakh.
- DBT-Bioengineering Grant from Govt. Of India (2017-2020), Design and Fabrication of dual mode paper analytical device for point-of-care diagnostics. (BT/PR21309/MED/32/557/2016), 29.6 Lakh.